Monday, July 18, 2011

Mixed-Berry Crisp

It all started because I was watching Food Network.

I was watching Giadia, and she was making a Mini Pineapple-Apricot Crisps.

Yum.

I wanted a bite.  It sounded so appetizing.  I had to make something.

I didn't have any dried Apricots, but I did have a bag of frozen mixed berries that would be perfect {granted fresh fruit out of my yard would have been ideal-we're just not there yet}.  So I set to work.

I got out my awesome food processor, measured out 1/2 Cup of Flour & a 1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar & then proceeded to the pantry to get me some Oats.

Uh-oh....No oats.  So I headed downstairs to our food storage room to see if I had some.....Nope.  None there.  This got me thinking, "What can I use that'll give me a crunchy topping?"  Graham crackers??  Yea...sure.  Sugar Cone Ice Cream Cones????  Oooh, yes....That'll work.

So in went 6 sugar cones along with a 1/2 cup of butter {cubed}.  I turned the processor on, and the outcome was perfect.

As for the filling, I dumped my frozen berries into a bowl, sprinkled them with some cinnamon, and a little bit of flour {for the juices that would eventually come out} and then tossed them around with a spoon.

I decided to make individual crisps, so I got out my pretty little white ramekins, filled the bottoms with fruit, and then topped them with the ice-cream cone topping.  I placed them onto a sheet pan, & stuck it in the oven for 30 minutes @ 400 degrees.

I periodically checked my little crisps.  I didn't want the ice-cream cone topping to burn.....That wouldn't have tasted good.  When the timer went off, and I had let them cooled for a bit, I dug into one.
Delicious!  Everything turned out great.  The only thing that could have made it better would have been some Vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip {this was a spur of the moment dessert decision}.  I really enjoyed the crunchy topping & the cooked berries.  Again....Delish!


Photobucket

I'm linking to these sites:

Mouthwatering Mondays

1 comment:

  1. Yummy and brilliant use of what you had on hand! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I really appreciate them :)