Friday, August 26, 2011

Madi's Dress: Third times a charm

My Sister is getting Married!  Hallelujah!

So for this momentous occasion, and because we are a part of the wedding party, I am having to put together all of my family's outfits.  For the men {ie. my Hubby} they are going to wear: black shirt & black pants with a silver vest & pink tie.  For the women: any dress that we choose, her colors are black & pink.  For my two boys {because they are the only nephews} :the same outfits as the older men.  Easy enough....right???  Well see as I go searching for at least 3 matching pink ties.

For the little girls, I thought that I would give my hand at trying to make a dress.  There's 5 of them total, so my sis & I thought we could keep the costs low.  So we headed to Joanns & looked through the patterns.  The bride picked the one below....on the right.
B5443

Cute huh???  Imagine it with a black bodice top and pink cascading ruffles & a zebra trim.  Well....you would think that having a pattern would be easy???  This one was not.  I tried my hardest to understand the instructions.  I asked for help.  Even my talented seamstress of a sister-in-law had a hard time figuring out the patterns.  So in the end, I decided to scrap it.  Bye-Bye dress number one.

As I thought about what I could do, I thought that having a dress with tulle on the bottom would be cute.  So I grabbed some fabric I had left over & went to work.  This is what I came up with:

Cute. Yes.  But....the shirt that I grabbed to make this was a rib knit, and it seemed to not hold it's shape for very long.  Plus with all the gathering, it seemed like too much of an ordeal to try and make another one.

So I went back to the drawing board.  I remembered a tutorial that I've been wanting to do, and I told myself, "Why not".  So I headed to the store to pick up my materials & 3.5 hours later I came up with this:


Super Cute!

I don't know if my pictures do it justice.  I would take them outside, but my daughter has this thing with wearing dresses.....she doesn't like it at the moment.


The tutorial that I used was from Ashley @ Make It And Love It.  It was a great tutorial.  Her step by step instructions + her pictures made this very easy for me to do.

Haha..maybe I'll be brave enough and make one for myself.....

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I really appreciate them :)