Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cranberry-Apple Streusel Pie

I created my own pie.

Well...not exactly, but I didn't have a recipe so I winged it.  I was shopping at Sam's Club the other week, and of course, my kids & I had to stop by the sample carts.  That day, they were giving away samples of pies.  Yummy.  So much so, I decided to make my own.  And it turned out delicious.

Good thing there's another holiday coming up, I might be making another one.

Cranberry-Apple Streusel Pie:

3 Apples-peeled & diced {I used Gala, because that is what I had in the fridge}
1 12 oz bag of fresh Cranberries
1 Cup of Sugar
1/2 Cup of Cranberry Juice
2 T Cornstarch
1 Pie Crust {Unbaked}
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar
6 T Butter

 Peel & dice the Apples & throw them in a pot.  The great thing about this part is that I snacked on the apple peels and didn't feel guilty at all {you know, since they're healthy & all}.
 Add the cranberries, juice & cornstarch.  Stir it around and put it on the stove, cooking over medium heat.  It'll take awhile for it to come up to a boil and thicken up.  Just make sure to stir it around every once in awhile.
 In the meantime, in a food processor, add your flour, sugar & butter.  This is going to make your streusel topping.
 Pulse it around until it looks like this.....like cornmeal....well, sort of.
 Look at that yummy pie filling :)
 Pour it into your pie crust.

 Add your streusel topping
 And because I was going to baking it for awhile, I tented my pie with foil {I didn't want the top to burn}.  Cook in the oven @ 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  Take the foil off and let it cook for another 10 minutes.  Also {I learned}, it would be smart to put it on a baking sheet; because if the filling bubbles up and pours over, it'll be on the cookie sheet and not the oven.
 When it's done
It'll look yummy and delicious like this...I was very tempted to eat it right then....but I resisted.

I like it ;)

Try it.  Enjoy!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I really appreciate them :)