Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cooking Challenge- PW's Simple Chili & Skillet Cornbread

Ahhh, tonight's recipes worked out perfect for what we experienced today...snow.  Nothing like having a hot bowl of something to warm the insides.

Yes.  I live in Utah and I was shocked to see it snowing & subsequently drop 3-4 inches.  The weatherman did not warn me of such happenings.  Luckily, I didn't have to worry about the shoveling of the snow-thank you hunny.

Anyway, both of these recipes I scooped up out of the cookbook,

{found here}
Originally, I was going to make my own cornbread, but then I was looking at the recipe in the book & thought that I would give it a try.  I've never thought about using buttermilk when it comes cornbread; in fact, I don't really think about using buttermilk at all; unless it's biscuits.

My husband & I had a discussion on Chili.  We both know that there are different versions of Chili, depending on what part of the country you live in.  The cookbooks version of Chili is a meat Chili w/ no beans; I've always thought/enjoyed Chili w/beans & meat.  Luckily, the recipe had optional ingredients, so beans got to enter the equation.

One cooking technique that I really liked was using the masa flour {with some water mixed in} as a thickening agent for the Chili.  Along with the spices, everything blended so well.

I declined to add the jalapeno {even though I bought one for this meal}, mainly for the kids.  I decided to give their tongues a break for the night.

All in all, I really liked the Chili recipe....I think I'll keep it in my arsenal.
Now, the chili recipe is in the book, but the cornbread recipe can be found here.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I really appreciate them :)