Friday, January 21, 2011

Cooking Challenge- PW's Spicy Pulled Pork

Tonight's recipe came from this beautiful cookbook.
As I was flipping through the pages, this recipe jumped out to me.  My husband has been wanting me to cook more pork, so I figured this pulled pork recipe would satisfy his cravings.

Let me tell ya.....I had to search the meat isle for a pork shoulder.  Sure, I could get a pork leg {lots of those}, but the lonely pork shoulders were hiding behind everyone else.  But I found one {well, obviously...lol}.

Pulling everything together was pretty easy.  I added all the ingredients into my food processor, and slathered that sucker up.  I placed the meat into my dutch oven, poured the rest of the marinade & the water, and stuck my blue pot into the oven to let it cook slowly over the next 7 hours.

Five hours later, my shoulder was done.  The house smelled delicious {thanks to the spices} & I had dinner ready to go.  I had to use a spoon & tongs to get all those velvety pieces of pork out of the pot.  In the cookbook, the instructions had said to turn the meat over every hour; I was able to do twice because after that, the meat started falling apart.  I pried the fat away, and started shredding away.  This is what I got:
 Oh so good.  The only hang-up....it wasn't spicy.  Nope, we didn't get a spicy pulled pork, we got a sweet pulled pork.  Now looking back at the recipe, none of the ingredients jump out as "spicy".  Either way, it was yummy.

My son came home from school, took one whiff, and asked for some as his snack.  That's my boy!  We served these beauties with some warmed corn tortillas & lime juice.  My kids had fun squeezing the limes over top.  Oh yes, my husband also devoured these with cilantro {I'm not a big fan}.

I thought that we would have leftovers for at least another meal, but that turned out to be not the case; we've got leftovers, but maybe for just one person.  We all very much enjoyed the simplicity of this dinner.
 The meal was so simple, it gave my daughter the idea that she could "chill" while eating.
 I thought it was funny how she was lounging throughout the entire meal.  And as you can tell, one of my sons was trying to show off to the camera...lol.
So the consensus...I will be buying more pork shoulders in the future.

The recipe can be found in the Pioneer Women Cooks cookbook; I checked to see if she had posted it online {because she has with some recipes}but it is not there. 

*CORRECTION*
I found the recipe online.  Yay!  Go here to get it.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I really appreciate them :)