Tuesday, October 5, 2010

BLT Mac & Cheese

Tonight's theme for dinner was vegetarian, and when I saw this recipe, I thought that a little bacon wouldn't hurt the theme.  With this meal I was actually able to buy & use Leeks.  I like leeks.  I really do try to broaden the fruits & veggies that I eat; they've increased much since I've been married.

I'll be honest with this recipe though, I was a little leary when the directions told me to throw these ingredients all together into the pot: water, pasta, cream cheese, & the grated cheese.  Cheese...Water... seemed like a recipe for disaster.  In the end, it worked out, but left a nice mess on the bottom of my dutch oven.

Another confession, I didn't find this recipe awe-inspiring, but I'm posting it because everyone else in my family loved it.  James went back for seconds.

So here's the recipe, & I followed it (cooking time & measurements) more so because I've never cooked cheese & water together before.
 BLT Mac & Cheese
{from the Pampered Chef}
*5 C water
*8 slices of bacon-diced up
*4 oz of Sharp White Cheddar
*1 oz of Parmesan Cheese
*4 oz of Cream Cheese
*1lb of Cellentani Pasta
*1 tsp of Salt
*1/2 tsp of Pepper
*1 large Leek-sliced & cleaned {white & light green portions}
*3 large Plum or Roma tomatoes-diced
In a large pot bring the 5 cups of water to a boil.  Meanwhile, start cooking the bacon until nice & crispy.  When the water comes to a boil, add the pasta, cheeses, & seasonings.  Cover & simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  After the five minutes, stir in the leeks and let it cook uncovered for another 5 minutes {you want the pasta cooked & the sauce to thicken}.  Take the pot off the heat & stir in half of the cooked bacon & the tomatoes {reserving a 1/4 cup for garnish}.  Serve the pasta in a bowl & garnish with the remaining bacon & tomatoes {and parsley if you've got it}.  Enjoy!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I really appreciate them :)