Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Corn Bread

I like corn bread.  I like really good corn bread.  Tonight I made corn chowder {courtesy of the Pioneer Woman} & instead of having some crusty bread go with the soup, I decided that I was going to make it a corn-themed night & make cornbread.

Moist...Slightly sweet....Corny.....Whole Wheat corn bread.

This was the first time that I used whole wheat flour {I usually just use all purpose flour}, and again, you never know how a recipe will turn out when you substitute in whole wheat flour.  Tonight, it worked.  I thought that the texture of the whole wheat flour complimented the cornmeal.

Here's what I did:

Corn Bread

1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour {or all-purpose}
2/3 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
1 T Baking Powder
1/2 t Salt
*Mix these ingredients up in a bowl & set aside

1 1/4 Cups Milk
2 Eggs
1/3 Cup Oil
3 T melted butter
*Whisk these ingredients up until the egg is beaten.
*Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until everything is combined-don't mix it up too much...just enough.
*Pour Batter into a buttered 8x8 baking dish and Bake @ 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
*When you take the cornbread out of the oven, you can either: A, brush honey butter over the top.  B, brush regular butter over the top.  Or C, do nothing.  We chose B tonight:


Now, the corn chowder I made tonight was yummy.....and a little bit too spicy.  That chipotle pepper really adds a kick.  We all agreed that although the chowder was delicious, we would hold off on that pepper the next go-around.  Here's the Recipe for Corn Chowder.

 I loved that every single spoon-full have stuff.....corn, onions, bacon, chilies.  It looked very nice as well...as long as it was stirred up.  Let it sit for awhile and the oil starts separating.  This was the perfect night to have the chowder too.  It was cold today; I don't think that I'm quite ready for the cold weather yet.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I really appreciate them :)