Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lemon-Banana Bread

So I loved the Coconut-Lime Banana Bread.  So much so that I bought bananas to make another loaf.  As I stood in the kitchen looking at very ripe banana's, I also looked at the bag of lemons I had leftover from making lemon squares and thought, "Why not combine the too together".  So that's what I did.

The whole time it was baking, I was worried about a couple of things: First, the fact that I didn't add any oil or applesauce {to replace the oil}.  I figured since I was adding lemon juice, the moisture factor would be ok.  Second, using just whole wheat.  I always try to cut out white flour when I can, but I know that whole wheat flour can be tricky sometimes.  Third, flavor.  I guess we all hope that our food comes out tasting good, but I wanted to make sure that both the banana & lemon flavors would come through.

When I pulled it out of the oven, it was very hard to just let it rest.  I wanted it to cool down a bit so I could pour a lemon-glaze over the top {like the lime glaze in the Coconut-Lime Bread}.  Although I should have pulled it out a little bit earlier, overall, the bread looked & tasted delicious.  I am a very happy lady.

Here's what I did:
 Lemon-Banana Bread

1/4 C softened butter
1 Cup of Sugar
Lemon Zest from 2 Lemons
-Cream these three ingredients first, then add:
Lemon Juice from 2 Lemons
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Eggs
-Mix together until combined; then add:
3 Bananas {mine were fairly ripe, so I added them right into the mixer, letting the mixer do the mashing.  If your bananas aren't as ripe, just mash them before hand.}
-Mix again until everything is combined; then add:
1/2 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
-Mix again until combined.  Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes, achieving a nice golden color & cooked center.  After the loaf is done baking, let it cool down on a wire rack & then eat or; after cooling a bit, drizzle over top a lemon glaze made up of lemon juice & powdered sugar.
Eat & Enjoy!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I really appreciate them :)