Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Gnocchi

Awhile ago, while at Sam's Club, I saw this package of gnocchi & thought that I would give it a try {I mean it was $3 for 3 (1lb) packages}.  My family thoroughly enjoyed these little potato dumplings.  I went back to the store to pick up another package & found that they no longer had them, well until last week {except this time they had almost doubled the price}.  Although good, I wasn't sure if I was willing to pay the price for them, so I decided to look up a recipe & give making them a try.  I found my recipe over at the foodnetwork , because that's one of the first place I go to when I'm trying to find a recipe.  So here's how it went:
*First I weighed out 2.5 lbs of potatoes; peeled them; diced them up
* I then boiled them.  The recipe said to boil for 10 minutes, I did it for 20 minutes {because that's what I do to make mashed potatoes}
*After cooking & draining, I threw them in my KitchenAid & whipped them up.  The recipe called for a ricer, but I don't have the piece of equipment, but this worked for us.  I then sat it aside to let it cool.
*After said cooling, I added the rest of the ingredients & put my husband to work {he was bored} gently folding everything together.
* I dumped the dough onto my counter, divided it up, & rolled each into a rope & then cut each one.
*I don't know if I shaped them right, but they looked good to me.  I then put a lid on and stuck them in the refridgerator to chill.
*When it came time to cook, I heated up a pot of water {to boiling} & dropped enough gnocchi to cover the bottom {I didn't want to overcrowd}.  I knew they were cooked when they floated to the top, which was in no time flat.
*I then scrooped them out of the water & put them immediately into the pesto sauce I made {Pesto & cream whisked together-just like the recipe called for}
*I topped the gnocchi with some fresh tomato, parsley & italian cheese.
*What a yummy dinner.  The gnocchi just melted in my mouth.  My husband & I were both suprised by that.  We weren't sure if it was because it was a fresh pasta {first time we'd ever made fresh pasta} or what; but it tasted good.  My husband thinks it would be fun to pan-fry them up after taking the water bath.  Something I might consider since I have a whole other pan in the fridge :)
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I really appreciate them :)