Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tasty Kitchen Review : Couscous Stuffed Peppers


Today's recipe immediately stood out to me mainly because of the couscous.  My kids love....LOVE couscous, and it's such a easy food that can be made.  I liked the idea of stuffing the peppers with the stuff.

The recipe sounded delicious and all, but.....honestly, I didn't feel like spending money on some of the more pricier ingredients {ie. ground lamb}.  But I still liked the idea of the couscous-stuffed pepper, so I ran with the idea

So, here's what I did:

Couscous Stuffed Peppers


Find at least 3 good Peppers.  It can be all Green {like I did, because they're cheaper}, and you can mix it up with some different colors.  I say at least 3, but I had leftover filling that could probably fill another 3 peppers {although my extra filling was eaten by my kids, because they didn't want the peppers}.

Slice the peppers in half, and scoop out the seeds & ribs.  Place them cut side down in a pan, and drizzle some EVOO over the top.

Let them roast in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.


Meanwhile, chopped half a onion & mince 2 garlic cloves.

In a pan, cook up a pound of hamburger {or turkey burger-that's what I used} with the onion & garlic.

Add some salt & pepper, and because I was using turkey burger, I decided to add a couple sprinkles of poultry seasoning.


When the meat is browned and the onions have softned, add a can of chicken broth.  Bring to boil, and add a box of couscous.  Turn off the heat, take the pan off the burner, and cover & let sit for 5 minutes.

During this time, my peppers were done roasting, so I took them out and let them sit on the counter.  See the blistering starting to happen???  Perfect.


After the 5 minutes, mix up the entire meat/couscous mixture.  Scoop & fill each of the pepper shells.  Now you could stop right here, but I decided to give it a little something extra.  I sprinkled some parmesan cheese on top, followed by a sprinkling of parsley.  Stick the pan back into the oven and let it bake for another 15 minutes {this is too make sure the peppers really cook-I like my peppers nice and soft}.


And that's that.  A delicious dinner worthy of the exclamation "Yummo!".


 My kids completely devoured this.  My oldest son ate three servings of the stuffing.  I loved the stuffing with the pepper-it was delicious!

I hope you try this out.  Enjoy!

Photobucket

Mouthwatering Mondays

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I really appreciate them :)