Thursday, January 12, 2012

Apple Pie Cake

Don't you love it when Inspiration hits??  I do.
I've had these Green Granny Smith Apples waiting for me to do something with.
Baked Apples were calling my name....I swear....I have this thing for cooked apples :)

I mean...look at the picture below; does it not look delicious?


It all started with some cooked down Apples.  And then I add some flours & oatmeal, and baked it in the oven.


And after 30 minutes, the oven greeted me with this:


And to make it even better, I add some caramel sauce {and then I thought later how some vanilla ice cream would also be fantastic}.


When my oldest came home from school, I dished him up a piece after I peaked his interest with "Apple Pie".


Here's the recipe:

Apple Pie Cake

Ingredients:
·         5-6 Granny Smith Apples {peeled and diced}
·         1 Cup Sugar
·         2 Limes {juiced}
·         2 Tbl Cinnamon
·         1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
·         1 Cup Self-Rising Flour
·         1 Cup of Oats
·         ½ Cup Cold Butter {diced into cubes}
·         2 Eggs
·         ½ tsp Salt
Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 425˚F
2.       In a sauce pot, combine the apples, juice, cinnamon & juice.  Cook for 5-10 minutes.  We’re letting some of the juice release from the apples & dissolve the sugar.  Because we didn’t add any cornstarch, it will not become thick.
3.       Once cooked, turn off the heat, and let the apples cool down for a bit.
4.       Meanwhile, in your mixer, add the butter, flours, and oats.  Start on low, allowing the blade to cut the butter, making it coarse and crumbly.
5.       Add in the salt and eggs.  Mix it in.
6.       By now the apples should have cooled, mix the apple filling into the flour mixture.  Mix until everything is combined.
7.       Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 pan, and place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes {until it’s nice and golden brown & a toothpick comes out clean}.
8.       Enjoy!
And I'll leave you today with my oldest enjoying this afternoon snack :)


Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

  1. I'm pinning that beautiful piece of cake.....I'd love for you to share this at my first linky party @CountryMommaCooks starts tonight at 9 central!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just pinned this! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! A winner with everyone who got to taste it! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I really appreciate them :)