Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Homemade Cheese Crackers

I love finding a good recipe.

I love spending time with my kids.

For the most part, my kids stay out of the kitchen.  They know it's my domain, and it's very hard for me to just let them help {ie..make a mess} without interferring.

I bypassed these feelings though, and had my two older ones try out a recipe that looked easy, yummy & fun to make.

Here's where I got the recipe: Homemade Goldfish Crackers

Here's how I made ours:

First, Cheese.  8 ounces to be exact.  If you don't have a kitchen scale, you should invest in one.  They're not badly priced.  Heck, I've even seen them at Ross.  It nice to have it around, and works great when you want the right-sized burger.  As you can see in the photo, I have a mixture of cheeses.  I used cheddar, and then some italian blend cheese.


Second, Flour.  I used Whole Wheat.  I'm healthy like that.


Third, Butter.


Fourth, Salt.


Pulse all the ingredients until you get that coarse, crumbly texture.


-Course, Crumbly Texture-


For the final ingredient, Water.  Turn the food processor on and add water.  With the whole wheat flour, it took 4 tablespoons of water to have the dough come out like this:


Wrap up dough, and stick it in the fridge to chill down.


I prepared the dougn earlier in the day, and when all kids were done with school, I prepped the scene :


I took the dough out and let it sit for 10 minutes.  I then split it into two, and rolled them out.  The thinner you roll, the crispier the cracker.


My boys loved playing with the cookie cutters. 


These were the smallest cutters that I had around the house.


Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.  I was happy.  They puffed up & baked really well.


I thought they kind of tasted liked biscuits, and I think that's because I didn't roll out the dough super thin.  They taste good nonetheless, and my kids had fun making them :)


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You make that look really simple and I'm kind of kicking myself for not making them at home previously. We don't really buy cheese crackers, but the kids love them whenever someone else shares them with us. Maybe they're feeling deprived, I'll have to make these for them to assuage my guilt. And, bonus, get to munch on a few myself. :)

    Thanks for sharing with This Week's Cravings. Hope to see you again next week. Kristi @ Veggie Converter

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I really appreciate them :)